Sunday, June 21, 2015

The yellow rose

My mom and sister were in town this week, here to celebrate Charlie's second birthday, and also to help take care of the girls while our nanny is out of the country.  Before they left, my other sister Sheri asked them to buy me a yellow rose at the store.  She didn't say why.  When I texted her to thank her and ask what it was for, she told me that I would find out soon.

Today, she sent me this message:

A few weeks ago, I dreamt of Dad.  It was my first dream of him since he's been gone.   In it, he looked younger, with black hair and those thick rimmed black glasses.  He was smiling the way he does where his cheeks get round and his eyes crinkle.   He was opening his arms to me, and enveloped me in one of his snug, warm, tight-but-not-too-tight hugs.  That hug was filled with his love for me, and it radiated off him, into me.   And he was happy, or satisfied, or complete.   At peace.  As he hugged me, he whispered, "Whenever you see a yellow rose, think of me, and the love I have for you."  Even though I'm crying now, I wasn't sad in the dream.  I was content.  And I felt Dad's love.   And I knew that this dream wasn't just for me, but for you, too.  Yellow is associated with the sun, with feelings of warmth and caring.  Yellow roses send messages of joy, appreciation, and love. 

Although I've never been a fan of yellow roses, they now hold a powerful new meaning for me - they remind me of our Dad, his warmth for others, and his love for us.  

I'm thinking of you on this Father's Day, and I'm sending you lots of love.

The rose is from Dad.

Love you,  
Me      

I finished reading and I sat in awe.  Tears slid down my round cheeks.  And as I smiled, my eyes began to crinkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment